What Are Plant Based Antioxidant Serums
Antioxidant serums that are filled with herbal infusions, essential oils and extracts from flowers, nuts, seeds, leaves and flowers are all plant based. The term plant based has become popular in the world of vegan food. Most likely because it seems natural that people eat plants as good sources of vitamins – or antioxidants.
Whereas its been common to say that skin care products are botanical. We love the idea of believing that ingredients in a moisturizer come from beautiful and delicate flowers. Flowers create a beautiful image for a facial treatment.
However, the truth is that many of the ingredients in botanical skin care from many more sources that a flower. The base of many products is jojoba oil, which is from a bean. Then there’s the ever popular aloe, which is from – a plant. In fact, entire product lines are built around seaweed, which, is a plant.
If you want to see more Botani-Clinical skin care options, check out our 2021 Botani-Clinical Skin Care Guide.
We’re so grateful to our sponsors, E.F. Tropics, Nature Pure, Immunocologie, Dawn Lorraine, Hale & Hush, Sesha and dmSkincare for their support with this article – so we can explore antioxidant serums that are plant based.
8 Antioxidant Serums
Here’s a list of 8 antioxidant based serums that are made up from plant based ingredients.
1. Illuminating White by E.F. Tropics
A plant based antioxidant serum that is a great spot treatment. This was EF Tropics Illuminating Collection’s first product released in the U.S Market.
When Illuminating White is applied directly to the spots themselves, overactive melanin production is halted by stabilizing the tyrosinase, thus inhibiting the activity of the tyrosinase, which is an enzyme responsible for melanin synthesis. On the surface, the lightening agents are at work lightening the spots and healing your skin at the same time. EF Tropics recommends using it directly on the discolored spots until they are gone and then the entire face or other areas can all be lightened together. Illuminating White will itself cause slight desquamation of the skin creating a fresh healthy glow!
2. Illuminating Young by E.F. Tropics
It’s the Resversatrol for us in this incredible firming cream! Illuminating Young also has Hyaluronic Acid, and Vitamins a Fatty Acid delivery system!
1. Antioxidants: like reversatrol and vitamins E & C – protect the skin (especially the collagen), from UV light, pollution etc. Vitamin C also increases new collagen accumulation. It increases serotonin expression (boots cells longevity), has super polyvalent protection against primary and secondary free radical damage.
2. Resorcinol Derivate: known especially for their whitening capability, also increase skin rejuvenation in the same manner as alpha & beta hydroxy acids.
3. Fatty Acid Encapsulated Delivery System
Dipalumotoyl Hydroxyproline, an amino acid and well-known wrinkle corrector/skin plumping agent is encapsulated in the fatty acid Palmitoyl Glycine to ensure the most effective delivery system.
4. Niacinamide: Well known for its skin lightning properties by acting as both a tyrosinase inhibitor and preventing the transfer of melanosomes to keratinocytes, a property that is most remarkable at higher concentrations. It also inhibits protein glycation, effectively reducing deposition of cross- linked collagen and elastin molecules.
5. Palmitoyl Isoleucine: remodels the face by its re-plumping and wrinkle refilling effect.
6. Multi-power Hyaluronic acids – a mixture of 3
* A 100-300 KDa HA to reinforce the skins natural defenses and wound healing process.
* A 20-5-KDa HA to improve skin biomechanical properties and firmness.
* A 5-20 KDa HA to rejuvenate the dermis from inside.
3. Lucious Berry Fruit Oil Serum by Dawn Lorraine Skincare
This award winner is an organic plant based antioxidant serum! It’s VEGAN +GLUTEN, DAIRY, SOY & NUT OIL FREE.
It’s replenishing and nourishing. It’s one of Dawn Lorraine Skincare’s newest products and sure to be a cult favorite! It is ultra rich, deeply nourishing, fruit oil based serum. It drenches skin with luscious moisture. It’s a power packed antioxidant serum with a delectable super fruity blueberry scent.
4. Super 7 Elixir Serum by Immunocologie
A favorite of Barry’s, this serum is truly wonderful. Super 7 Elixir Serum reduces the appearance of skin aging and brightens the skin. Nourishes and repairs while naturally stimulating collagen and elastin production. It helps to heal and restore skin. It features two incredible plant based ingredients to nourish and protect the skin.
Hibiscus Esculentus Fruit Extract – This Potent Antibacterial Ingredient Is Traditionally Used In Ayurvedic Remedies To Promote Healing And Prevent Uneven Pigmentation.
Desert Date Seed Oil – Cold Pressed And Rich In Nourishing Essential Fatty Acids And Saponins That Reduce Inﬂammation, This Oil Helps Regenerate And Replenish. It Penetrates Quickly, Leaving No Greasy Residue.
5. Rare C Serum by Hale & Hush
We love the plant extracts in this sensitive skin antioxidant! It’s full of Artemisia Vulgaris (Mugwort) Extract, Laminaria Digitata Extract, Beta-Glucan (D), Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Lonicera Japonica (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract,
Rare C Serum features a highly bio-available form of Vitamin C, which strengthens collagen, brightens the complexion and, as an added bonus, reduces the appearance of pore size by 20% in 4 weeks as tested! Regular use of Rare C Serum will promote supremely radiant, strong and youthful looking skin.
- Balances, evens, and brightens skin tone.
- Reduces appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and pores.
- Strengthens collagen and enhances collagen synthesis.
- Soothes and hydrates skin.
6. Advanced Repair Complex by Nature Pure
We give this two thumbs up for the plant based beneits of the Hippophae Oil! It’s Infused with Certified Organic Botanicals.
A delight for your skin, this luxurious and silky textured cream incorporates CLO, Dermaxyl (Palmitoyl Oligopeptide), and Hippophae Oil to repair the cutaneous matrix to ensure a healthy, smooth, and radiant complexion. CLO (cod liver oil) is well known as one of nature’s most powerful health aides for the skin and body. CLO is scientifically proven to help inhibit carcinogenesis while actively guarding against skin inflammation, irritation, and UV damage. Rich in Omega-3, Vitamin F, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, and other beneficial Essential Fatty Acids.
Ideal for dry, normal, sensitive, and combination skin types for the face, neck, and decollete.
7. vit-A Clear Serum by dmSkincare
It’s the plant based prebiotics and probiotics in this for us!
vit-A Clear Serum is a critical serum for acne and anti-aging + natural alternative to Retin-A!
This serum helps to modulate oil secretions and also encourages healthy skin cell turnover, critical for anti-aging and acne management. A unique ester form of vitamin A found in the Granactive Retinoid Fluid® converts to tretinoic acid in the cells providing all the benefits of vitamin A gently. Retinol and retinyl palmitate round out this triple action vitamin A serum contributing strong antioxidant properties. This formula contains a healthy bactiera support system constisting of probiotic lactobacillus ferment and prebiotic inulin. This skin probiotic technology is added to help strengthen the skin’s barrier and encourage beneficial skin bacteria to flourish and crowd out blemish causing bacteria. This product is a must in every daily skin routine.
8. DNA R & R Serum by Sesha Skincare
Get a solid dose of niacinamide from the DNA R & R Serum!
This serum is formulated to repair and restore all skin types. Utilizing one of the “strongest” antioxidant’s, EUK 134, a mimetic of superoxide dismutase and catalase, forming a self regenerating antioxidant molecule that scavenges superoxide free radicals. DNA R&R offers around the clock protection from UV induced DNA damage and has been proven to reverse signs of past damage. Excellent for all skin types.
• EUK 134, a mimetic of superoxide dismutase and catalase, forms a self regenerating antioxidant molecule that scavenges superoxide free radicals and offers round-the-clock protection from UV induced DNA damage.
• Hexapeptide-51 mimics the activity of an important protein, FOXO3a, which protects DNA from damage, stimulates its natural repair pathways, and enhances cellular longevity and vitality.
• LIPOCHROMAN™ protects cells from structural alteration of proteins, inhibition of enzymatic activity, and interferences of the regulatory cellular function.
• A proprietary bioactive blend in a Sodium Hyaluronic base, it works to increase collagen synthesis and reduce skin roughness and fine lines.